Saturday, January 17, 2009

3 Days 'till we have a new president

I thought that maybe until the inauguration, I'd try to post something Obama related every day. I expect that there's about a 15% chance of that happening (that's, like, 3 days in a row). I think the theme of these stories will be "fluffy, feel good, happy stories about the Obamas." Hey, everyone else is doing it. Anyway, here's today's tidbit.

I ran across this NY Times article today. It's kid's advice to President Elect Obama. Cute, huh?

Here's an example:

Dear Pres. Obama,

Good job on winning. I heard about Area 51. I wanted to ask you if there are any U.F.O.’s there. I think that you should tell people in public the truth about Area 51. You would just maybe say, “That we will take care of it.” And do it.

— Edwin Jara, age 9, New York


I've been concerned that the aliens in Area 51 weren't more of an issue during the campaign. Thank you Edwin for bringing it to everyone's attention.

The other exciting thing about this particular article is that many of the children also submitted portraits of Mr. Obama.

Renea Harris-Peterson, Age 9

This was my favorite. I think it captures his essence. Something about the eyes. Nice work, Renea.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I agree that there is not enough outrage over Area 51. And I quite like the drawing.

Unknown said...

This is a great idea!! I think I'll have my gifted kids write to the new President. They might have some really good ideas! EVEN BETTER than area 51. I'll let you know if we solve any major world problems.