Saturday, March 13, 2010

International Food

I'm at Ko's house tonight. We spent most of the afternoon cooking a mediocre meal and a really good dessert (involving pineapples, whipped cream, and contreau). However it was the shopping that really amused me. It turns out that Goettingen has an international section in the Real (sort of like a German Walmart). More excitingly, there's a USA shelf. I took a picture to document it.


The funny thing is that these are exactly the sort of things you can't find in Germany. I had been explaining to Ko that very morning about poptarts. Also exciting - the barbeque sauce. I tried a German kind and it was so bad that I wasn't brave enough to geth another one. There are a couple of things I'd like to see added though:
  1. Root beer
  2. Salsa that doesn't have sugar in it (actually, the Mexico shelf was directly to the left, but it was entirely stocked with this weird brand of disgusting foods. Trust me, I've tried it.)
  3. Chocolate chips
  4. Mixes to go with alcohol. You know, like margerita mix or sour mix
  5. Black beans and or pinto beans without sugar in them. I know, this should probably also go in Mexico.
  6. Caro syrup
  7. Creamed corn
Okay, that's all I've got at the moment. I'm really impressed by the crisco. The only problem was when I tried to explain to Ko what it is, exactly.

7 comments:

anaeromyxo said...

I'm really really happy to see what Americans can't live without. Hershey's products seem to play a prominent role, along with condiments for hamburgers and hotdogs. I also enjoy that marshmallows are there. For s'mores, presumably, since there are also Hershey's bars, but there are no graham crackers so maybe they go with the "hot chocolate" that doesn't already have them.

anaeromyxo said...

P.S. I wonder how much artificial cheese they sell. Have you craved artificial cheese? Because it's been a long time since I ate any...good on nachos, though...

anaeromyxo said...

Oh, I realize I'm over-commenting, but, I want to say that I also enjoy the large percentage of these items that I currently have in my house (from the top left): crisco, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, microwave popcorn, boxed brownies, pancake syrup, hershey's syrup, and...I'm forgetting what else is there...

Jenny said...

Looks like there was some Swiss Miss on the shelf. Did you pick any up for Charles ;)

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

could you explain to me what crisco is, exactly? i understand its important for seasoning cast iron skillets and for making biscuits...

biophd said...

The don't have graham crackers here, which means that we had to use an inferior product when making s'mores (which the Germans thought were disgusting).

Some of the things on the shelf can be purchased elsewhere, but usually it's a different brand. So it's not like I really have to go without microwave popcorn. But German brownies aren't very sweet, so they're like chocolate bread or something.

And then, according to my mom:
"As for Crisco, besides frying things and using it as a butter substitute in baking, it can be used for dry skin"

Also, is it strange that I like the spam comments on my blog?

Tiffany said...

I'm just glad that I now know of a one stop place where I can go on the internet that will provide for my spiritual needs.