Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Like Life

You know, the major thing I've learned from living in another country is that it's not glamorous. I think the word "abroad" has always sort of filled me with anticipation. "Abroad" causes my mind to fill up with vague images of cafes, cathedrals, elephants, pyramids, and crowded markets. Also, I think it conjures the smell of some slightly exotic spice - cardamom, maybe, which isn't available in the Covington grocery store.

I haven't posted anything in more than a week (I like to think that you noticed, loyal readers, but I can't be sure) because nothing is really happening. I gave a seminar in lab meeting yesterday. I'm watching the 7th season of the Gilmore Girls. A new bar opened up by my house. I'm going to learn about the genitive case in my German lesson this week. While walking to work last week a fly flew between my eye and my glasses and got stuck there for several seconds until I ripped off my glasses to release it.

But when I talk to people from home, it seems like so much is happening. Babies, jobs, weddings, etc. Big stuff. Dramatic, life changing events. I was considering leading this post with the fly story (because I was concerned at the time that it was a wasp - imagine the dramatic consequences there) instead of the "I'm getting married, having a baby, and buying a house" news that everyone else seems to have.

It's not that I'm jealous. The news is as often bad as it is good. It's just that I sometimes feel like I'm just waiting for stuff to happen. My days are mostly pleasant and uneventful. Jenny frequently jokes that everyone's life is better than hers. But I don't really think that - it's just that everyone's life seems more lifelike than mine

4 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I noticed the absence of posting. I checked everyday on vacation to see if you'd updated.

Can't wait until you get here to visit.

Anonymous said...

I noticed the absence also. I kept checking to see where you were!

The big event in my life is you coming home on the 9th!

anaeromyxo said...

What's...(is it ironic?) about this situation is that I also find my life boring, as I have lived in the same stupid generican city for the last 5,000 years with nothing in the way of having to walk around without my pants unexpectedly or learning a new language or seeing the ruins of a Nazi vacation resort. In addition, I have started spending an unreasonable number of hours on my sofa, watching the Braves again. Finally, what brings this story full circle is that I am also watching the 7th season of the Gilmore Girls...it's just that the context is somewhat different. I love Kirk's mime performance.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found this blog. I've been postdocking in Germany for five months now. I'm a single woman, originally from Canada, who came here via the US. I totally agree with your observations particularly regarding the cultural differences. I'm thinking of starting my own blog which will be more opinionated and judgemental but I can't seem to find the time. I'm not the most organized person, speaking in terms of N American culture, never mind others LOL. Maybe I'll just leave the country. Take care.