Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Awesomeish

I'm pretty sure that living in Germany is making my English worse. Partially because I sometimes find myself saying the British word for things (e.g. "I'm tired. I think I'll take the lift to my flat to get my jumper.") but also because Charles (other people too, but mostly him) is trying to deliberately sabotage my beautiful language.

It started out with adding "ish" to the ends of words. As in "this cake is awesomeish." But since then it's deteriorated. Some classic Charles terms include "hotnicity" (i.e.. the charachteristic of being hot) which is closely related to "hotitutde" and the verb "to hotify" (i.e., to heat). My personal favorite was the German/English hybrid word "genauicity" which, I think, means something like "truth."

Anyway, I found this comic this morning that makes me think of Charelian English.


Although he might have actually said "dangerousish" or "exhibits dangerocity."

3 comments:

anaeromyxo said...

When I was in Japanese class in high school, my instructor told my friend, who was laughing aloud in class, to "put away that something funny." This, of course, caused us all to laugh like crazy. Not nice. Anyway, my dad somehow heard the story and we now refer occasionally to this or that something funny. It's usually a comic strip or book or something causing someone to laugh and we will say, "let me see that something funny."

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

Sounds like Charles is a devotee of Bush 43 American English. Who can forget Jon Stewart's unkind parody featuring the word: strategery

anaeromyxo said...

http://stuffhipstershate.tumblr.com/

So that you can answer questions next time :)