Monday, August 10, 2009

Misogyny = Violence Against Women = Bad

This isn't a real post, since I'm not going to take the time to construct even a half-assed argument about it, but take a look at this if you have time.

I agree with Bob Herbert in this piece, of course, but it amazes me and sort of infuriates me that an op-ed article can say things like

We would become much more sane, much healthier, as a society if we could bring ourselves to acknowledge that misogyny is a serious and pervasive problem...

Really? I'm shocked! And misogyny leads to violence against women? Shocked again! How is it possible that we don't already know this? I'm glad that Bob Herbert wrote this article, I guess, but why are issues so critical to the fabric of our society dealt with and then dismissed in a cursory one page editorial?

7 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

And, in general, violence is bad, very bad.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

http://fugitivus.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/a-woman-walks-into-a-rape-uh-bar/

please replace my previous comment with this one.

anaeromyxo said...

So, this, for some reason, reminds me of a time when I was sitting in my freshman dorm hallway...or maybe sophomore... and I, for some reason, pointed out to the group that rape wouldn't happen if people didn't do it, that it's not a perpetrator-less crime. A sort of standard GT girl, one of those girls who liked to point out how she'd never experienced discrimination, said to me, "I'm very sorry about whatever happened to you but...[something]." The kicker was that nothing had happened to me. I've never understood why that makes it so you shouldn't be angry.

anaeromyxo said...

Oh, damn, I have another comment. {I hate being so inherently long-winded} Anyway, this gentleman mentions the pregnant aerobics instructor and, specifically, that she was among those injured. Since I've been pregnant, I've noticed a lot of increased concern about my well-being, even by my husband. I sort of get it but it sort of annoys me. Here's my most cynical, tragic feminist view: Is the aerobics instructor more valuable than the other women in the class because she's carrying a man's DNA or is it because we can't rule out that her baby is a boy? Or maybe it's just because children are more important than adults? Is it just because she's a twofer, because it was a room full of other women... Maybe it's because she's 100% free from blame and sin once she's pregnant and doing her job. I can't actually think of something that makes this not annoy me...even though it gets me out of driving a car with a flashing airbag light. Hold it, probably it's just because injury is more likely to have large repercussions. That's probably it, right?

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

you would definitely make the news as a pregnant victim of anything...

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

why hasn't sarah p posted? is she writing a dissertation or something?

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

Can we talk about why Hera, goddess of marriage and home is the bitchiest of goddesess? and least popular? and possibly the patron saint of hillary clinton?