Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Things I Don't Understand

One of the frustrating things about living in a country where you don't speak the language is that you have no idea what's going on much of the time.

For example, once Ko and I were standing at a traffic light when some man came and stood really close to me (and Germans stand farther apart from each other than Americans). Then he started to gently stroke the traffic light pole. He had something metal in his hand, so it made a distinct sound each time. I took a step away from him. Up and down, up and down. Eventually the light changed and he walked away.

In another case, I saw a crowd of men dressed as clowns talking to an H & M poster with a pretty woman on it. This may have been a bachelor party, but I can't be sure.

And my apartment building is always putting up signs I don't understand. I try to remember what the words are so I can look them up when I get upstairs, but that rarely happens. The other day I saw something that seemed to indicate something about filming a something, which I assumed I misunderstood, but then it turned out that the next day there was a film crew outside my building. Okay, so I didn't see any actual cameras, but I did clearly see a wardrobe trailer and a catering trailer. And many of the other trailers were labeled with a picture of a video camera. Hopefully my building will end up one TV at some point, so keep an eye out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So what did Ko make of the stranger stroking the pole??

anaeromyxo said...

I saw a group of clowns talking to an H&M poster just the other day! Okay, so, I didn't actually but wouldn't it have been funny if I had!