Friday, October 24, 2008

And now, for a pressing political concern

I've haven't been doing such a good job of blogging recently, and I apologize. But I've been neglecting other things as well. For example, I've only been checking the U.S. presidential election coverage three or four times per day, as opposed to the previous average of 48 times per day. But since I know that Newton County has received my ballot, I sort of feel like there's nothing I can do. It's a little sad. I really like going to the polls on election day. Plus. there's the whole sticker thing. I mentioned that I like the sticker, right?

Anyway, I've noticed that the NY Times has done a series of articles on Sarah Palin's wardrobe. I feel like I shouldn't dignify this topic by writing about it, but let me be honest: I think she looks great. Apparently the campaign spent $150,000 on her wardrobe. Maybe I should be outraged, but I'm not. I mean, if I were going to be campaigning for VP, I'd like for someone to spend that much money outfitting me. I like the way the Times discusses things so seriously.

"It is not yet clear whether Ms. Palin chose her new wardrobe or worked with stylists and other advisers, or what message her clothes were intended to broadcast."

Clearly I'd need to meet with stylists - since I'm anxious about whether or not to wear my legwarmers. I can imagine the meetings where a bunch of advisers were sitting around a table saying things like "Okay, we've got to discuss Sarah's wardrobe. We want her to look feminine and approachable, but not weak. And we should avoid the pantsuit - you-know-who has already taken that look. I want everyone to stop and think for a minute about what message we'd like her clothes to broadcast."

Even though I'd like $150,000 to spend on my wardrobe, I've been looking at a slideshow of Palin's clothes, and while she looks really good I think I'd decline being Veep if I had to dress like that. All those buttons and suit jackets. I really like for my shoulders to have their full range of motion. Because you never know when you're going to need to throw something at someone. It makes me glad I decided against dressing as her for Halloween.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would also think that having all that hair piled on top of your head would make your neck ache after awhile. Maybe that's why she started wearing her hair down?

That slideshow is awesome, especially the American flag dogtag and the knee-high boots.

Anonymous said...

I think its good you at least paid lipservice to the idea of not talking about her clothing. The reason, I think, we are so obssessed with what she wears is two fold, or maybe there are just two reasons and I am trying to sound more academic and savvy by saying "two fold," cause to be honest, I don't really even know the meaning of that phrase.

Anyway, women (and really all persons that are not "normal" ie. white, male, old political candidates...we all remember Obama is his swim trunks, don't we?) are sexualized by the media (shocking, I know...this isnt intro to WS, Sarah). So it comes as no surprise that NY times and others are trying to reduce Palin to her sex, to the ridiculous whims of feminine irrationality, in which a woman and her campaign could actually spend so much on skirts and shoes, oh those silly girls, trying to play with the big boys!

Secondly, however, I think we critique her clothing choices and spending choices because there is no political candidate uniform for women who are running for office. So, because she can't wear the navy suit, red or light blue tie, and american lapel in order not to be noticed, she must make other choices. To be fashionable makes her not a serious candidate, to be dawdy makes her unsexy and second wavish...Hilary was once called "Joe Lieberman in drag" and so it is a no win situation. How much does John McCain spend on his wardrobe, and why do we find it necessary to feminize her husband, and make jokes about his "first man-ship?" Why? Because we still as a country, in our heart of hearts, our a completely sexist nation, who must belittle women even as we praise their gumption.

Let's be fair. Ideology-wise, most people who can read have recognized that Palin is simply a right, male token (she has taken the face of O'Connor and Rice in our recent past) who should not be elected because she denie women fundamental rights to their own bodies. But lets lay off her clothes or her hair or her make-up. Shirley Franklin once came and spoke at Emory, and someone asked her why she always wore those big flowers on her suit jackets. She said image professionals on her campaign told her it would soften her up, she looked to hard with her short haircut and assertive voice. These conversations do happen, and I have more than a sneaking situation that they are, in part, the reasons why people go around with t-shirts that say "John McCain and MILF for president"

SP

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

So, the Diane Rheam Show's Weekly News Roundup also talked about this briefly and both commentators (one who covers Obama and one who covers McCain) were both like, this is STOOO-PIDDD

I recommend any of you go check out the pod cast on wamu.org

Also, this comment: "And we should avoid the pantsuit - you-know-who has already taken that look" Emily, I think, if someone had heard them, they would have said, "she-who-must-not-be-named"

anaeromyxo said...

I'm about to make a comment, in reference to slide number 1, that can be taken however you would like to take it...ahem..."With boobs like those, she should take off her jacket more often!"

biophd said...

I don't think that outrage over the money spent on her wardrobe is exclusively because she's a woman. I think the article points out John Edward's $400 haircut.

But I agree. It's totally a no-win situation for women in the public eye. No matter what they wear it's the wrong thing. Like, remember the controversy when Hillary Clinton showed some cleavage (not really) in the senate?

Angela Merkel, German chancellor, apparently had a make-over to make her seem a little less frumpy.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

offensive comment I recently read:

women want to be her, men want to mate with her....

I'll be Todd Palin would use his snow machine to take care of guys like that. . .