Tuesday, October 28, 2008

One Woman's Quest for a Taco

Devoted readers may remember that shortly after I arriving in Germany, I ate at "El Sombrero" - Jena's Mexican Restaurant. The food wasn't too bad, but it didn't resemble any Mexican food I'd eaten before. Since that time I had Mexican food in Berlin (at a place owned by Mexican people). I think I have a picture of that somewhere... hold on....


Ah. Here it is.

Anyway, Berlin is slightly over two hours away by train, which is a little far to go for Mexican food. And since I've been here I've heard that Weimar has a decent Mexican place. So this weekend Jenny, Charles, and I took the train (only 20 minutes), then wandered around downtown Weimar until we found it. I got a burrito. It looked like this:


It was a little strange, because it wasn't actually wrapped in the tortilla, so much as sitting on top of it. But I'll take what I can get. See that jalapeño? Very spicy. All in all, I give it three stars. If the Mexican food in Jena bears no relation to the Mexican food in the U.S., then the Mexican food in Weimar is something like American Mexican food's cousin. They're not exactly the same, but you can see the family resemblance. Here are Jenny and Charles enjoying the meal.


Oh, and I think it may actually be illegal to mention the city of Weimar without also mentioning Goethe. So here's a picture of me with the big statue of Goethe and Schiller in the town square.

You can't really make out their faces, but now I've fulfilled German law. I've decided that Goethe is to Weimar (and actually most of Germany) what Martin Luther King Jr. is to Atlanta. A super important historical figure with his name plastered all over roads and buildings. Although, other than the thing on Freedom Parkway, I'm not sure we have a big statue of MLK Jr. anywhere. Something to consider.... But I digress. Here's the point of this post.

Should you find yourself living in East Germany and craving Mexican food, your best bet is Berlin. But if that's too far the place in Weimar will suffice if you've been away from home for a long time.

2 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

So, buckshot doesn't like mexican, which is a bummer since one of my staple food items are the weight watchers burritos...I've accepted that everything gives me heartburn, so I think buckshot just has to deal with it.

anaeromyxo said...

We have that big sculpture with the face/hand of MLK. Over next to the King Center.