Saturday, October 18, 2008

Boiled Peanuts

I was talking to Kristina this morning about things that my family traditionally does in the fall, and it made me miss some things. Specifically, boiled peanuts - one of the most delicious snacks known to man. It makes me feel sad that so many people don't know the joy of boiled peanuts, but incredibly lucky that I'm from a section of the world that appreciates them. If any non-Southerner (or non-American) is reading this, boiled peanuts are hot and salty (oh yeah!), and sold by old men on the side of the road. Should you be driving through the Southern U.S. and see a stand, you should immediately pull over and buy some. Don't be fooled by creative spelling - "bolled" and "boilt" peanuts are the same thing.


But it's still nice and Autumny here, and there are many things about Germany to appreciate. I went to the market on the square this morning and bought some pumpkins for carving. I also got some bread and sausage from one of the stands. Then I went back to Kristina's house with her and she fed me breakfast. I'm going to work for a couple of hours now, then head to Jenny's house for some pumpkin carving. It may be a little early, but hopefully our Jack-o-lanterns will survive until Halloween.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh...now I'm craving boilt peanuts. Mmm. Remember when we introduced Julia to boiled peanuts?

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I can only imagine what Julia thought of boiled peanuts (are you reading? Hi, Julia!)

We started a Halloween tradition--pumpkin carving with Nell! Check out her blog pics. The lobotomizing of the pumpkin (yes, that's what Pete called it) freaked her out, and she was confused about whether what we scooped out was apple or pumpkin...sure looked similar, and then the face...well, it was a lot for her brain...but fun! I can't wait until what she thinks of Santa Claus (oh and the fall festival we took her to so we could get a pumpkin at the church up the road had the creepiest Oz characters ever...looked more like Return to Oz to me)

anaeromyxo said...

I've started working on my halloween costume. I'm going to be a skeleton and Kevin is going to be a ghost. He's wearing a white table cloth with holes cut in the eyes and I'm wearing a black sweatsuit with bones stuck to it. We're classic.