Friday, November 28, 2008

Giving Thanks

Jenny, Sarah, and I hosted Thanksgiving for the lab yesterday (at Georg's house). We did a really good job, if I do say so myself, of recreating a traditional meal. The menu included turkey and cranberry sauce (homemade!), stuffing, sweet potato soufflé, green bean casserole, corn casserole, broccoli casserole, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, gravy, seven layered salad, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and apple pie.

I had a good time, and I think that the lab did as well. But this is the first Thanksgiving that I've spent away from home, and I was sad thinking about everyone getting together without me. But rather than dwell on that, I thought that I'd make a list of what I'm thankful for. So here goes - in no particular order.

1. I'm thankful that it's sunny today. The snow is gone, and its only sort of cold.

2. I'm thankful that my sister is visiting. We're going around to Christmas markets this weekend, and to Paris (Paris!) next weekend.

3. I'm thankful that I have a job doing something I like. This is a pretty serious one, and hard to overstate. Since I spend all day doing it.

4. I'm thankful for my friends. I have, I think, and exceptional number of good ones. Both back in the US, and new ones in here in Germany.

5. I'm thankful that Obama won the election. Maybe it won't make a difference, but I feel optimistic.

6. I'm thankful that everyone in my lab was willing to celebrate Thanksgiving with us yesterday. And actually, the 4th of July and Halloween. It made being far from home much easier.

7. I'm thankful for all the leftovers in the break room for lunch today.

8. I'm thankful that I've gotten the chance to live outside of the U.S. I'm pretty sure that my world view will be forever changed. Not to mention that I can spend my whole life starting stories with "When I lived in Europe..."

9. I'm so, so thankful for my family. I miss you all so much, and I'm very excited that we'll all be together for Christmas.

10. I'm thankful that I'm heading home in 18 days - I'll get to see my brother graduate from college, Sara's defense, and hopefully Katy's baby. Not to mention that I'll be together with Mom, Sarah, and Quinton for the first time since March.

There's a lot more, but writing this list, coupled with the NPR story about people who are missing from the Thanksgiving table is making me kind of weepy. I hope everyone at home had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year. I'll see you at Christmas.

4 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I'm weepy too!!! Mostly because I made the list. :)

Happy Thanksgiving. . . maybe give some advanced thanks that I'll get work done this weekend as a reward for leaving home against my better (professional, not personal) judgement.

Anonymous said...

Your coming home for Christmas in 18 days certainly topped my things to be thankful for also. It made the fact that you and Sarah were not here for Thanksgiving a little more tolerable. It was a great list by the way, and I'm thankful you are such a wonderful person who has her head straight about what really matters. (mom)

anaeromyxo said...

I'm so glad you'll be here for my defense! Amisha says she may be here too! It's a Christmas miracle!

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Obviously, there was some sort of internet glitch, as I don't see anything about how you're looking forward to seeing me!!

John G. Scott (very young looking almost middle aged guy, hangs out with your mother)