Monday, November 3, 2008

Mister Mitteldeutschland

I forgot to bring in my camera today, so they'll be pictures of the Halloween party tomorrow, I promise. In the meantime, let me tell you how I celebrated Sara's birthday. I touched Mister Mitteldeutschland (Middle Germany).

So you see, yesterday the Goethe Gallery was open. The Goethe Gallery is sort of like a mall, and I was shocked (shocked!) to hear that it would be open on a Sunday. In general, nothing is open on Sunday, no one is out and about, and if you don't want to spend the day quietly at home with your family, you're sort of out of luck. But because the Miss and Mister Mitteldeutschland pageant was being held, the shops were open as well (which is a good thing, because I really, really couldn't squeeze any more toothpaste out of the tube and oral hygiene is important to me. But I digress).

Anyway, the pageant was both disturbing and hilarious. The part I liked best is when the little girls came on the stage during intermission and pretended to be beauty contestants. Because you've got to start training them young. The good thing about this pageant relative to the ones in the U.S. is that men were competing as well, giving Charles, Jenny, and me the chance to debate which of the men looked best with no shirt. The contest was fundamentally unfair, because the women had to wear bikinis, while the men were wearing jeans and no shirts. What's up with that?

Between the events, the contestants wandered around the Goethe Gallery just like normal people. You know, except more attractive. Charles and I had come back from browsing through the toy store during intermission when we noticed contestant number eight standing around talking to his friends. I tried to get Charles to touch him, but as he is less of a freak than me he refused. So I cleverly positioned myself in such a way that our shoulders touched when he (contestant number 8, not Charles) walked back to the stage. I'm pretty sure he felt the sparks as well.

I also think that when his shoulder touched mine it gave him the little something extra that he needed. Because when he went back on stage and the winners were announced he was crowned Mister Mitteldeutschland. Except the men weren't actually crowned - they just got a sash. Anyway, if Mister Mitteldeutchland 2008 happens to be reading this just no that I wish you luck in the Mister Germany competition. And if you'd like me to touch you for good luck I'm available.

****UPDATE*****

Here's a picture of Mister Mitteldeutschland take from Charles cell phone. Unfortunately, it's while he was wearing a suit.

2 comments:

anaeromyxo said...

I approve of your birthday activities! I was so sad to have missed your call! My phone was off still from Friday night...sad.

K-Way said...

Pictures...I need pictures. Somehow a guy being sashed makes me giggle a little.