Wednesday, February 11, 2009

February

February is my least favorite month. By sort of a lot. It starts off with my sister's birthday, which is cool (although I was on the trip from hell back from Nice this year and couldn't celebrate it) and then moves directly to Groundhog's Day, which is sort of a novelty (although it seems to be only a North American tradition). But after that February is depressing.

You see, I'm so over winter. I knew it was bad for my psychological well-being to move so far north, and I was completely right. It had been sunny for a couple of days, but when I woke up today it was snowing Winter just drags on forever. You've got the post-Christmas momentum to get through January, but it's completely worn off by the time February rolls around. And then you're left trying to psych yourself up enough to get out of bed in the morning.

In a few day's we'll have my favorite holiday ever. Valentine's Day. I maintain that it's a stupid day (designed to sell candy, flowers, and jewelry) whether or not you're in a relationship. Although I'll admit that I have more data points for being single. The great injustice of it, it seems to me, is that while the Germans don't really do Halloween they do celebrate Valentine's Day (Halloween = Awesome, Valentine's Day = Not Awesome).

I realize that I'm sounding crazy and bitter, but it's not supposed to get above freezing for the next week. You people in Atlanta don't really understand - I checked. The high there is 69 (21) today. I need spring! I need sunshine! I can feel my soul withering here in the dark.

That's sort of all I've got for today. There's nothing to be done except to hunker down and wait for spring to finally arrive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emmy...
Just so you know...I'm wearing black today in our family's annual observance of Valentines Day (this is Mom)