Thursday, February 12, 2009

Six word memoir

There's a story on NPR today about six word memoirs. I've heard about it before. Apparently Hemingway was once asked to write a story in six words and he said "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn." Anyway, so the idea is usually to write your story in six words, but since it's nearly Valentine's Day people are writing the stories of their love lives. Some of them are sweet, some are sad. Here are a couple from the article:
The results are sometimes romantic: "He sees the me I don't" ... sometimes devastating: "For the children, I remain his." ... and often hilarious: "Found Jewish princess. Good-bye succulent pork."
I went through and read a bunch of them in the comments. The ones I liked best (of the ones I read):
"I liked him, he liked men."

"New best man and bride needed."

"Gravity pulled down, humor held up."
I've been thinking about my story of love. It's sort of depressing (and perhaps after the last post I should try to be more upbeat) but here it goes:
"Maybe there is no such thing."
Anyway, if anyone is still reading this blog feel free to contribute your own. In German if you like.

9 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

Friends first. a break. then more.

Anonymous said...

my life. long squandered. begins today!

Anonymous said...

ich moechte ein bratwurst. Sehr groß!

biophd said...

Wow. You guys are talented. But Q - it's eine bratwurst. Because, for reasons that escape me, bratwurst is feminine.

Mein Deutsch ist sehr gut.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I'm so disappointed I can't write in German...maybe I could dig out an old Latin book

In honor of V-day, Emily, I think you could do a post cataloging the schools banning performances of the Vagina Monologues this year

anaeromyxo said...

Your Deutsch IST sehr gut. Let's see...is it supposed to be about love? Because Hemingway's story is heartbreaking. How can you be so heartbreaking in so few words? Let's see...Before, he wasn't a cat person.

Garadiol said...

I have been asked to do one in french...

Ailleurs le soleil brille. Pas ici.

biophd said...

I think it's clear which of us are single. Sigh.

Katy, I've heard rumors that this blog has stirred speculation about my sexuality (I'm straight, in case someone was wondering) so I'm trying to keep my vagina related content to a minimum.

Anonymous said...

I think the thing is that I was looking for a masculine brat...non of that sissy german sausage