Sunday, March 29, 2009

How much is Public Radio worth to you?

So I'm listening to Atlanta's public radio station online - Weekend Edition Sunday, actually - and it's the spring fund drive. The alarming thing is that I'm finding it sort of comforting.

The whole NPR pledge drive conjures a very strong image of my old bedroom on a weekend morning. The sunlight filtered through the blinds, making the dust in the air visible. I used to turn on NPR, go make coffee, and sit in bed listening to Scott Simon or Liane Hanson. I'd drink my coffee and eat an everything bagel, toasted, with peanut butter.

I wonder if anyone is sleeping in that room now?

Anyway, I've known for a while that I've got a problem, since every year I get really into the pledge drive and find myself rooting for them to reach the goal. If you listen to the radio stream on the main NPR website you don't hear the pledge drive, so it's sort of an interesting surprise for me to hear it today.

2 comments:

anaeromyxo said...

We're collecting npr travel mugs. This year, it's stainless steel. Also, we get some sort of weather radio. Nothing like carrying around an npr grocery bag full of organic yogurt and shade grown coffee to make you look like a big screamin' liberal.

biophd said...

You'll be pleased to know that I've made my contribution. Clearly you guys donated big. I decided to go with the "Pretty Good Joke Book" combo. I'm psyched. Also, they're shipping it here.