Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sie sind sehr groß!

So I went to order a pizza for Jenny and me from the pizza place near my house. I don't like to order by phone, so I usually go in and wait for it to be ready. It's only 5 or 10 minutes. Anyway, last night the proprietor (I think) of the establishment brought me some tea while I waited, and the following conversation ensued. Everything is translated from German, except the mistakes that I make when I speak.

Pizzaman: Hello, are you American?

Emily: (smiles) Yes.

Pizzaman: Ahhh. (nods) How big are you? (note: in German, there's only one word which means both big and tall)

Emily: 185 cm

Pizzaman: (eyes widen) Wow! That's really big! What do you do here?

Emily: I work at the university. I'm a scientist. A chemist. (note: I mean, I'm in the chemistry department, and explaining more is beyond my abilities)

Pizzaman: And how long have you been here?

Emily: Almost one year.

Pizzaman: How much longer will you stay?

Emily: One more year.

Pizzaman: And then you'll go back to America?

Emily: (shrugs) I think. But I don't really know.

Pizzaman: (laughs) Maybe you'll meet a man, and then you'll stay in Germany.

Emily: (hesitant) Perhaps...

Pizzaman: Everything's clear. (goes back to making pizzas).

The point of this post is threefold. First, the fact that a German made small talk with me is fascinating enough for me to write a blog about it. In all fairness, I would guess that the man was of Turkish descent, so he may not have been a German citizen. Second, I need to point out that it's taken a year for me to get to the point where my German is good enough to have this conversation. And third, if you are German and should ever journey to the U.S., you should never ever ask a woman how big she is. This is considered rude. I'm not sure about that man comment. If the guy hadn't been old I might have thought he was hitting on me. But German rules for flirting continue to escape me, so it's difficult to tell.

4 comments:

Garadiol said...

hey I am impressed that you used the ß in your title. this looks very german now.
And I confirm, the foreigners, or germans of a foreigner origin, are more happy to speak with us, aliens in Jena.

anaeromyxo said...

Yay! I knew before you pointed it out that this back-and-forth conversation is a serious feat of language-learning. You are super worldly and deserving of any snobbish-ness that you may adopt upon your return.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I love how you always point out differences...like that word that means tall...

Quinton said...

you should have asked him how groß he is....hahahaha, ask him "welche Art von Wurst haben Sie?"

I miss you!