Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pipe, Spring, Squash, Lent, Limerick

So two things have stopped me from posting recently: first, there's some trouble with the video I wanted to share with you all (involving a virus and a USB key) and second, I have an undergrad working with me for the next three weeks. While she's here I feel a like I should be working all the time. Especially since she doesn't want to take coffee breaks. Anyway, since I've been saving up things to tell you this post is in list format. Totally suprising and out of charater for me, I know.

  1. So, then, what's going on in my life right now. Hmm. I dropped an earring down the drain in my sink and took the pipes apart by myself to get it. That's something, right? I also found a barrette while I was fishing around in there. The earring is wooden and now it looks a little strange. But I love these particular earrings, so I'm going to see what I can do about it.
  2. More importantly, it's getting to be spring here. I went on a hike last weekend to see the Winterlinge - these little yellow flowers that were introduced to Jena from Italy through the wine trade.
  3. I also played squash for the first time. I wasn't sure about the differences between squash and racquetball, and the wikipedia entries were too long to read - so I'm still not sure. Anyway, squash turns out to be a lot of fun, even through my butt was so sore after playing that walking up stairs was agony for the next three days. Just thought you should know. I think it's a good sign, and if I keep playing I'll have a much nicer ass.
  4. The other thing that's happened is that Lent has started. This year I first gave up alcohol, but since Tracey is coming to visit during March (yay! Tracey!) I made a deal with God that I could drink while she's here. (God's cool with it, I think.) So I also gave up chocholate. Anyway, I haven't had any alcohol or chocholate for a week. I'm doing okay. Only 33 days to go.
  5. St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner, and you know what that means? Green beer and pinching people! Also, limericks. I think that the limerick may be my favorite form of poetry. The Haiku is close because it's shorter. However, limericks are often dirty and I think that gives them an edge. Anyway, I challege you all to write a limerick and post it in the comments or on your own blog. But if they're really dirty maybe you should just e-mail them to me.
Okay, that's all I got. And Sophie will be here soon, so I should act like I'm working.

5 comments:

Doug998 said...

There's nothing that's quite so much fun,
The lim'rick amuses (that nun!).
It builds to crescendo
Providing an end, oh
Good gawd! There's another one done.

Anonymous said...

So is your undergrad European? I thought all Europeans took extensive, frequent coffee breaks. If this turns out not to be true, I am canceling my plans to move to Europe.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

AHHHH!! You're going to play squash now ! YAAY!!! We have a sport we can play together!!! Okay, now i can finish the rest of the post.

Also, don't you think its important as a professional mentor to help the undergrad understand all the important things that happen during coffee breaks? Like coffee, ...

anaeromyxo said...

I know winter leads to the flu
But I thought the winter was through.
Along came the snow
And with it, Oh no!
I spent the day puking up goo...

Nice, right?

biophd said...

Such talent! Is that true Sara? Yikes. Okay here's my first of the season:

I decided to give up the booze
I thought I had nothing to loose
But a night on the town
Is such a let down
I'd rather just stay home and snooze