Wednesday, April 22, 2009

NPR listeners like pot

NPR is doing a story about legalization of marijuana, which I should confess, I haven't read or listened to. But you can - here.

I did, however, look at the poll results. I was expected something like 60% in favor, because, honestly, we all know the political persuasion of the average NPR listener. Instead, it was much, much, higher. See?

  • Yes
    91%
  • No
    4%
  • Yes, but only for medical purposes
    4%

Total Votes: 12,234




Either NPR fans are way farther to the left than I expected or the people who follow NPR online are not representative of the larger listening audience. Which, now that I think of it, makes sense. I guess a lot of the elderly fans haven't quite figured out how to access the wide world of internet polls.

That's all I got today. Just thought I'd share.

3 comments:

anaeromyxo said...

I think you've made an excellent point about the age of online listeners. There's also the whole "who feels strongly enough to vote?" question to consider.

anaeromyxo said...

Is this related to your plans to become a hippy and move to Hamburg?

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

A lot of the older listeners (60+) might have been old enough to be flower children and pot smoking hippies.

Also, I think a lot of people think marajuana should be legalized for medical use.