Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Word up!

First of all, how are y'all doing over there with the swine flu? If everyone I know could please make an effort to avoid dying in an influenza pandemic, I'd really appreciate it. So far it looks like it hasn't gotten to Georgia yet, but I suspect it's just a matter of time. Probably it's coming to Germany too, though. It may be time to quarantine myself in my apartment.

Secondly, I've been a bad blogger of late. I realized I haven't posted any Helgoland pictures. Here you go. First, I give youth Pohnert group. Yes. There are a lot of us.


Second, here's a picture of some rubber boots. One of the gray/blue pair is mine. Something like 9 euro at Aldi. That's some dope shit. Nothing makes me feel as sexy as walking around in rubber boots all day.


Next, please turn your attention to the bathing beauties on the beach. They don't seem to realize that it's cold. Please note point number 6 from the April 18th post.


And finally, we came across some rather unusual marine life while in Helgoland. The rocky intertidal is truly a fascinating place. You'll have to look really hard in the picture to see it - he's rather well camouflaged. We're doing feeding assays with him later to determine whether the chemical defenses in the algae help him avoid predation, or if it's just that he's more cryptic.


That's all I got for today. Oh, and the 90's hip-hop phrases are brought to you by my Swedish friend. Nothing's funner than a Swede saying "Word up!"

Peace out, yo!

3 comments:

anaeromyxo said...

I think it's nice that you started out the blog with a photo that looks like the on in your previous blog.

Anonymous said...

Emily,

The background of your first picture looks like you are in one of those Diana Galbladder books about Jamie and that woman who travels back in time...I'm too lazy to look up the author's real last name or the title of these books, but you know the ones I'm talking about.

Second, the seals on the beach remind me of the slide in your dissertation presentation, when you had the dolphins (or maybe it was whales...or seals...) wrapped in toilet paper. Scientists are really an immature bunch, "tp"ing dead aquatic life just ain't funny, ok.

I love you and miss you. My "word verification" for this post is "whisms"...is this a word? I like it, what do I think it means...hmm sounds fairy-tale-ish, like whimsical, but not. Maybe it means those whimsical thoughts you have about childhood imaginations. I'll use it in a sentence, give you some context clues... "She cherishes the moments of the day, in which whisms of Snow white and make believe come to mind"

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I really enjoyed your shout-out to the 90s. Can you do a different decade each day of the week?