Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Update on my life

Today is Georg's birthday. It's very exciting, in large part because we had cake, and I like cake. One was chocolate and it made me wish that Lent was freakin' over already. I mean, denying myself makes me feel closer to God or something. Kristina tells me that Lent is over on Friday, but I disagree. I'm pretty sure that it's not over until Easter Sunday. From a theological perspective, it doesn't make sense for it to be over on Good Friday. Back me up people. Am I right? Anyway, I'm thinking that my Easter breakfast may be bloody marys and chocholate bunnies. Mmmm. Lecker.

So I'm going to be leaving Jena for a week on Friday. It's sort of unlikely that I'll post anything in the meantime. Since the days surrounding Easter (i.e. Friday and Monday) are state holidays Jenny, Kristina, Kristina's boyfriend Dirk, and I are heading off to Hamburg. You know, just 'cause it seems like a cool city. Plus it has a large red light district. Prostitution in legal in Germany.

Starting Tuesday the entire lab is going on a field trip to Helgoland. It's a rock in the North Sea with a marine lab. It looks like this:



I'm sort of excited, except that I've heard that if the weather is bad we could be unable to take the ferry back to the mainland. Then we'll be trapped, and we'll have to eat Carsten so that the rest of us can survive. (We talked to him about this. He's not thrilled, but admits to the logic of it.) I'll let you know how it goes.

In other news, spring has finally arrived! It was sudden. I think it was last Thursday when the world got warm and happy, and I finally could let go of the resentment I felt towards all people living in warm places. Plus, I heard on CNN this morning that there's a cold snap in Atlanta right now. The weatherman had to take in his plants. Also, sometime early this week I noticed that most of the trees have leaves now. I'm pretty excited.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I should not read blog posts before I've had coffee. I read "Helgoland" as "Legoland" (and immediately thought "Oh, sweet!") and also read "The weatherman had to take in his plants" as "The weatherman had to take in his pants."

Seriously need coffee right about now.

anaeromyxo said...

There was a cold snap but everything survived. I also had to take in my pants, I mean plants. This could not be done for the tulips but they're fine. The good news is that the sun is out today and it's nice and cool. I could roll around in the grass...if it weren't for my allergies...Achoo!

kim said...

Dudes. It is snowing again tomorrow here. There are no buds on the trees and the grass is dead. I have never missed ATL so much in my life. Tom has a relative in Hamburg-it is definitely the place to be in Germany according to them.

Anonymous said...

The cold snap seems to be over in ATL right now. Sarah and I went to Callaway and rode bikes. It was wonderful! We missed you so much though and I thought how much you would like to be riding bikes there with us until Sarah reminded me that you might not think of riding bikes as a leisure activity now that you have to ride them to get around. How sad... the weather is beautiful again. Also Helgoland looks kinda pretty...I had envisioned it as a big rocky crag jutting out of the sea... Did you notice it is green? I love you Emmy and miss you. (mom)

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

this explains your absence from skype.
i hope you don't have to eat carsten. i understand that cannibalism can lead to brain diseases like mad cow. be careful.

anaeromyxo said...

I think you may have to eat the brain to get mad cow. I heard there's a similar thing if you eat squirrel brains, so don't do that either.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

did anyone see the PHD comic about if science on TV were like real science?

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

do any of you blog readers know folks in st. louis? (amisha! my house is for rent again)