Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Another, um, cultural difference between the U.S. and Europe

Do you know what I've been thinking about recently? Circumcision. My friend the internet tells me that while most (about 79%) Americans are circumcised, the rate is much lower in Europe. Germany wasn't listed, but Wikipedia claims it's under 20%. Based on an informal survey (NOT a visual inspection!) I suspect the rate is much lower than 20%, at least among white scientists ages 25-35.

Somehow I was unaware until recently that the the US differs in it's circumcision policy from most of the rest of the world. Jenny and I had a few questions about exactly how the procedure is performed, so we turned to the internet again to figure it out. Click here for a computer animation of what happens. And, if you've got the stomach for it, here's a real live video. I was shaky for a while after I watched it.

So. I guess I doubt that the baby was in so much pain the the second video - he was probably just mad. And I doubt that any of the circumcised men that I know suffer much from the trauma of having this done. Also, I'm aware that there are some benefits - easier hygiene and less chance of spreading STD's. But doesn't it seem strange to cut off a part of the body when it's not medically necessary?

Ah well. Since ASLO is a hypothetical child I don't have to make a decision for him yet. Perhaps I'll let his hypothetical daddy make the decision.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

After seeing this video, I'm going to need someone to give me some strong arguments for the benefits of circumcision if I'm going to consider it for my children.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

apparently at an atlanta area hospital that delivers babies there is also a difference among physicians who do or do not use anesthetic for the procedure...the nurse said that male doctors less often do

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

also, there's this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/23/science/23hiv.html

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

perhaps the next poll could involve whether or not your baby or you/your spouse is circumcised