Friday, June 20, 2008

SuperDeutschland!

Fortunately I have faith in Deutschland (unlike many of my labmates) so I moved up in the rankings last night. Ahead of Carsten.

I suppose that it's possible that some of you Americans (and I say that in a snobby, derisive, European way) may not have heard that Germany advanced to the semifinals in the European Football Championship last night. Mom and I met Jenny and Sebastian at a bar downtown last night to watch it. We ended up squeezing into a tiny space in the Irish pub - possibly the last remaining seat in any bar in Jena. The Germans are crazy. Here's a picture I've stolen from the internet to illustrate my point.


I didn't actually see this guy, but I did see many like him. I think I may go with the face painting next time. You know - 'cause it's less permanent than dying my hair. Although it might be ridiculous to paint my face when I don't know who the German players are (although the keeper's name is Lehmann maybe?) and don't really understand the concept of "offsides."

Then, after the game - while I was trying to sleep - people were driving down the streets honking and cheering. I can only imagine that the excitement will intensify if they make it past the semifinals.

The whole thing is kinda fun, I must say. Not the actual soccer, but the drinking in bars, the rankings in the lab, and the drunk Deutschland devotees (impressed by the alliteration? You know you are.).

Tonight (or this afternoon for you) it's Croatia vs. Turkey. If you're undecided, cheer for Croatia so that maybe I can move up in the rankings.

No comments: