Friday, June 27, 2008

To the American Tourists on the Train from Berlin to Potsdam

Hi. You don't know me, but I'm sitting in this train with you. Because I'm speaking quietly to my companion, you may not realize that I'm speaking English - or, that like you, I am an American. But I've been in Germany for several months now, and if you don't mind I'd like to pass on some information that I've learned. The man beside you doesn't care that you've had both your knees replaced. Neither does the woman beside him. Nor do the people on the other side of the train, including myself. But because you announced it loudly to the man (who may or may not speak English) every English speaker on the train now knows. I also struggle not to reveal irrelevant personal details to strangers. But trust me - it's better to refrain.

Another thing I might mention is your wardrobe. I don't mean to be unkind, but if you'd like to blend in fanny packs are unacceptable. I'm aware that the fanny pack (when worn in the front) is extremely convenient. The map, the chapstick, and the wallet are all easily accessible. You may also feel that Berlin is a big city and wearing your belonging in a pouch strapped to your belly enables you to watch it carefully at all times. But in my experience I find that many, if not most, Europeans are law abiding citizens. I suggest you take a chance and carry a purse or a backpack. You'll be glad that you've branched out.

I've noticed that you also spend a lot of time trying to figure out where you should get off of the train. Navigating public transportation in a big city can be really confusing! I know - I frequently find myself standing in front of a table of arrivals and departures trying to decide which bus/train/tram I should ride. And you've done a good job so far. You're on the right train so relax a little. Potsdam is the end of the line. You'll know when we've arrived, because the conductor will tell you. Sure, the announcements are in German, but the name of the town will be the same. If you'd like to know which stops we'll be making in the next few minutes, just look at the sign at the front of the car. In the meantime, just do what I do. Sit and quietly judge all of the people around you.

Please, enjoy the rest of your time here in Berlin, and wherever else your travels take you. But also bear in mind, as you enjoy the finer things that old Europe has to offer, that the impression that you make on the citizens of the countries you visit colors Europeans' perception of all Americans. And frankly, I'd be embarrassed to be seen with you.

2 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

had enough, have you?

Anonymous said...

I remember when Bea used fanny packs any time we went anywhere. I was in elementary or middle school and was mortified! Can't remember if Fran ever did....she's more fashionable though.