Monday, July 14, 2008

Here's to you America!

Many of you have heard this already, but the quintessential American beer (and you can interpret that however you like) is going to be sold to the Belgians. That's right, Budweiser will no longer be strictly an American operation. Here's the NPR story about it.



Anheuser-Busch is being sold to InBev, which also owns
Stella Artois and Beck's. I doubt that it will make much of a difference - I read somewhere that InBev promised to make St. Louis it's North American headquarters, but it's still sad. Have you forgotten about this, Anheuser-Busch? We don't know who you are anymore - but I guess you held out as long as you could. Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way, since the NPR story links to this site. And the people of St. Louis are pissed.

Still, I think of Beck's as a German beer (and drink it frequently here, I might add), so maybe I'll be able to overlook this betrayal. Especially since I didn't drink Budweiser all that often anyway.

There were a whole bunch of stories about it on NPR. Apparently Americans are developing a more sophisticated palate - which is why Bud is in trouble. Not so flavorful. I'm sorry, Amisha. Here's the report. But, according to this particular story, Americans are making a wider variety of microbrews that Europeans. And if you're confused about all the different beer choices, here's a story about the different beers and different tastes - it's long, so only listen if you're committed.

2 comments:

anaeromyxo said...

They held out as long as they good and shareholders did the whole hostile takeover thing so, here's my question (on behalf of my in-laws who are conflicted): Do we boycott to punish the nasty evil judas iscariot shareholders or do we remain loyal to budweiser (I should probably say "become loyal to budweiser") to reward them for holding out...that last bit maybe doesn't seem to make sense...

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

there's no such thing as a national company, imho. that's the point of capitalism. perhaps for national security its nice to keep the means of production 'in the homeland' in case 'the nation' 'in time of national emergency' needs to say, expropriate the infrastructure (beer making?) but basically the company is beholden to shareholders only, and that's the end of it. Tastes change, big companies sometimes can't adapt. I'm going to keep drinking the Other St. Louis beer, Schlafly. Locally owned, locally made.