Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My fascinating life

It's time for another "update of my life" blog. And do you know what that means? That's right. I'll be writing in list format. So, the things that have happened (in no particular order) are:

1) My paper is accepted to Proceedings of the Royal Society! Yay! It's been a frustrating process. But look for it soon. If I haven't given up on blogging by then I'll post a link when it comes out.

2) I went to an American Football game this weekend. Jena (the team is called the Hanfrieds - who knows why) lost. I watched it like I watch football games in the U.S. - which is to say that I set on the grass and made chains from flowers. Jenny took a picture. I'll see if I can round it up. One of the nice things about the game was that the band of the American waiter at the American bar played. Cowboy Bob and the Trailer Trash. It's really fun - should they do a U.S. tour I recommend it.

3) Jenny and I started an American style journal club. The lab journal clubs involve one person reading the paper and presenting it to everyone else. I think this is partly because it takes a long time to critically read a paper in English. But still, I think you get more out of a paper if you read it ahead of time and discuss. Maybe it's hard because there aren't clear rules about how Journal club should go...you know how Germans like rules ;)

4) Charles, Astrid, and I cleaned out some of the culturing chambers. It made me nostalgic for Julia. We actually divided up the space for each person using the chambers. It's a beautiful thing, especially when compared the the chaos before. Good job, Charles.

5) I discovered that Charles put pictures of lab activities on the server, so I can share them with you! Here are some from the 4th of July party:


Me with a rocket. Don't I look dangerous?





This is the lab, with the exception of Alex, Georg, and Svetlana (who couldn't come) and Charles (who was taking the pictures). I chose my favorite of everyone based on 1) pictures that were easy to see and 2) pictures that capture the essence of people. So, starting at the top right we have Martin, the Carsten, then Jenny, then Matt, then Jan, Kristina, Jerrit and child, Christian, and Astrid (with Jerrit's child).

Also, here's a group picture with Kelly in it.The people not previously mentioned are Dirk (Kristina's significant other) and Mary Francis (Jenny's grandmother).

And perhaps most importantly, here's Jenny's lovely cake.


Stay tuned for pictures of Martin's diploma defense (sort of like a master's defense). There will be pictures of cake in that one too.

1 comment:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

1) I like the patriotic cake. Very nice.
2) I like knowing faces to put with your lab.
3) I think your lists are very interesting. Kind of like the pillow book.