Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Rügen: Part II

Okay, as promised, here's the story about the rest of the trip. I don't think that there are any other hilarious mishaps, but there is a ferry ride, a romantic walk down the beach, some lovely chalky cliffs, and a giant snail. Ready? Let's go.

So after the first night of line dancing, Kelly and I went to bed. And by bed, of course I mean sleeping bag on a cot in a tent. It was so cold. So cold. I wore my pajama pants under my cords. It wasn't comfortable, but it was warmer than a single pair of pants. Also, the bathroom was a long way away. So waking up at 5:30 and trekking over there wasn't fun. I managed to sleep for a while after that. When I woke up and saw that it was time for Früchstuck (breakfast) I was relieved.

The woman at the campsite check-in on Saturday morning did speak English, and she recommended that we take the bus to Königsstuhl to see the museum that went along with Jasmund National Park.

In order to do that we took a bus to Sassnitz, where we got distracted by the idea of a ferry ride around the island. We thought it would be a good way to see the chalky cliffs. It was. Here are your first pictures of this story.

We were hungry after the boat ride, so we got some fish at a restaurant nearby. Here's the thing: While you may know that the German word for "fish" is "Fisch," it's trickier to know what the words for specific kinds of fish are. In the end I guessed. Although I did guess that herring was probably herring, so I avoided it. It turned out well. I ended up with some sort of fish dish with tomatoes and cheese. I think it was quite good, but I was really hungry so it's hard to tell for sure.

Anyway, next we took the bus to Königsstuhl. We were actually the only ones on the bus, so it was sort of like taking a taxi. With very low fuel efficiency. We tried to go through the museum, but we got confused and gave up. We might have persevered, except that the last bus was in 2 hours and we really wanted to go down to the beach and look at the cliffs from below. However, since I did promise you a giant snail, I will say that the brochure of the museum promised a playground with a giant snail. I was determined to find said snail. When I did, I was a little disappointed. I'd say it was a largish snail, but giant might be stretching it a bit. Plus, his shell doesn't seem realistic at all.

So next we walked over to Victoria sight, which has something to do with some royal naming the view for his daughter. Sorry. I can't remember the details, but I can show you the view.

Here are some other views from the same overlook.


It really was beautiful. Next we walked down a really, really long staircase to the beach below. It was rocky, and filled with chalky stones. I took one home. It's my souvenir. Along with the hat. This is the view from below.



We walked for a while along the rocky beach, then realized that we needed to catch the last bus, and that it might take longer to walk up the staircase than down. So we headed back.

I know I promised that this post would finish the trip, but I can't justify continuing to not work. So you'll have to wait a while longer to find out about the romantic beach walk and the Nazi ghost buildings. I'm verbose. What can I say?

3 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

You STOLE a ROCK?!?!?

anaeromyxo said...

Oooh...Nazi ghost buildings...I'm waiting eagerly.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I think the hats are outstanding accessories.