Saturday, April 5, 2008

Der Mexicaner

One of the bad things I've discovered about my new lab is that Friday happy hours may not fly. Yesterday, Jenny and I left at 7 (or 19:00 if you prefer) and everyone was still working. While I found this troubling, my enthusiasm for the evening's activities were not dampened. Jenny and I were going to the one Mexican restaurant in Jena - a place called either "Der Mexicaner" or "El Sombrero." I couldn't tell because both names were written on the window.

We started with a margarita. They only served them frozen, which was a bit of a disappointment. But mine was blue and delicious - my only complaint is that it was a little small.

Next came the dinner. I ordered something called the "Macho Nachos," and while they may have been macho, they were like no nachos I've ever seen. Actually, they seemed more like tacos. There were two, with a crunchy shell - one was filled with chicken and the other with ground beef. Both were tasty, although the seasoning was unfamiliar. The most exciting part was the "salad" under the tacos. I've never had pickled green beens and cabbage before. I think it's enough to say that I probably won't have them again.

After dinner, Jenny and I headed to a bar called "Flower Power," which was pretty much like you'd expect - tie dye on the walls, flower decorations, and American 60's music in the background. It turns out that 9 was a bit to early to arrive, and were were the only people there until 11, when the crowd arrived. We drank dark beer and talked to a guy named Tony (doesn't seem like a German name to me either) until after midnight when we decided to head back.

So this is the part I'm a little ashamed of - it was cold at the bus stop, and the bus wasn't due for another 20 minutes. We went to the only non-bar establishment that was open. McDonald's. McDonald's is apparently a teenage hang out in Jena, and the fries taste exactly the same as they do in the US. I was somewhat comforted by that.

Anyway, the night ended with the long walk uphill from the bus stop to my apartment. All in all, I think it was a successful evening out.

2 comments:

jmholt42 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jmholt42 said...

Something I learned while taking classes in Croatia, and traveling in Italy, first, don't eat at restaurants with picture menus; and second, Mexican restaurants in Europe are Mexican in name only. Good luck!