Sunday, May 24, 2009

Four mini-posts

I kinda couldn't decide what to write about today. Plus, I only have about 4 sentences worth of material for any one topic, and text is easier to read if it's broken up with bullet points. Jenny's mom said I should write a book. I wonder how many have been written in list format? 'Cause paragraphs are sort of exhausting.


  • The Germans seem to have no solid grasp on summer food. Which is odd, because strawberries and asparagus are in season now, and you can only get them during this time. Still, if I go to the mensa (student dining hall) for lunch it's stuff like beef roulade with roasted potatoes and red cabbage. Delicious, to be sure, but sort of over the top for 80 degree weather. I'm looking for something like a chicken salad sandwich with a side of fruit. And possibly an ice tea or lemonade. Anyone who wants to open a restaurant - I really think that Jena could do with a sandwich shop. Subway is the only competition.

  • The birds have started building a nest on my balcony. Clearly, I'm a crappy nature writer since I have nothing more specific than "bird." Still, I was watching today and they're bringing little bits of mud and sticking them to the side of the house. About half the time the mud stays on the wall. Other times it falls immediately onto the balcony. But they're persistent and I try not to discourage them, even though they wake me up when the sun comes out (something like 5) with manic chirping.

  • Larry King Live sometimes get on my nerves. Today's show revealed that women have problems with self worth. I was shocked (shocked!) by this revelation. I also appreciated that Lucy Liu could explain it to me. I always enjoy it when beautiful actresses can tell me that in order to overcome my self esteem problems, I should love myself more. Very helpful.

  • Yesterday was my 29th birthday. Although I know I'm only a day older than I was the day before, something about birthdays causes a person to want to take stock of their lives. I try to avoid introspection as much as possible - it makes me melancholly - but I'm afraid that I'm turning into a character in a Lorrie Moore story. I think maybe the main charachter in "Anagrams," who, among other things has an imaginary child that she talks to. I've recently gotten my own imaginary child (I call him Aslo - story for some other time), but until recently I hadn't made the connection. This is a bad path for me to go down, I'm sure, since almost all of her characters are women in academics who are misunderstood and alienated from the world around them. On the other hand, they usually have sharp wits and enjoy word games. Plus, I could reread her short story "You're Ugly Too" a hundred times and not get tired of it. So, you know, it could be worse.

4 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Anonymous said...

The thing about birthdays is also true once you become a mother. It causes you to constantly reflect on the child's life beginning with the occasion of the birth and thinking about how they grow and who they have become. As YOUR particular mother, all of that makes me smile and think I am kind of extroidinary to have helped create the fantastic creature you are. I could go on and on, but as it is a public blog, let me just say that you should look back at the person you have grown into and continue to evolve into as amazing in every aspect.

kim said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I thought today (Sunday) was the 22nd so I missed everyone's birthday. Miss you. I hope you spoiled yourself and had something fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I would have wanted to wish you a "great Birthday!!", but you'll have to do with a "great new Birthyear!!".

I'll always remember the one about time flying like an arrow.. It helps me cope with time :-)!

Soaky belgian greetings, John