Thursday, May 7, 2009

Haircut, take II

This is another post about the minutia of my life. I'm never sure if I should focus on bigger issues, but I think that it's probably best to tell you about what I'm actually thinking about. So those of you who talk to me frequently might know that I didn't like the haircut I got in January. I thought that if I just gave it some time I might come around. Alas, four months later and I still hated it. The problem was that it was puffy at the bottom and flat at the top, giving my head sort of a triangle effect. I have a picture somewhere.


See! Definitely a triangle quality. Anyway, when I tried to explain it to the German hairdresser (Tanja) it went sort of like this:

Emily: "My hair is a triangle"
Tanja: tilts head to side and looks knowingly at my head "Yes"
Emily: "So I want it not so short, but not so triangle"

It turns out that was enough. I like my haircut. Although it was odd because Tanja didn't try to make small talk with me at all. I guess it could be because small talk is less necessary in Germany, or she was convinced that my supply of German was exhausted after the triangle conversation.

Anyway, here's the final result. My face looks weird, but you can see the haircut. If you're in Jena, I suggest Tanja.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I need to move to Germany. It is a fantasy of mine to have a hairstylist who doesn't try to make small talk with me.

biophd said...

If you don't like small talk, Germany will be like heaven for you. Do you like smiling? 'Cause they're not big on that either.

anaeromyxo said...

Wow, it looks really really good. Also, I talk and talk and talk when I get haircuts.

H said...

it looks great!