Thursday, May 8, 2008

My German monolouge

The big news here is that I bought a bike. Second hand, of course. But I feel so European, I rode it to work this morning. My butt hurts. Cobblestones are not as charming on a bike with no shocks. And I'd take pictures, but my legs are too wobbly to walk down the stairs. So you'll have to get details on the bike later.

So instead I'm going to share my German homework with you. I was supposed to write about myself, and it turns out that my life seems depressing. This is how it goes:

"Ich heiβe Emily. Ich komme aus Atlanta in dein U.S.A., aber Ich wohne in Jena in Deutschland. Ich bin Biologin. Ich bin siebenundzwanzig Jahre alt. Ich bin ledig. Ich habe kine kinder. Ich wohne allein. Ich mag das Stricken und das Lesen."

I think this would only be more depressing if I could also say something like “Ich habe neunzehn Katzen.”


**UPDATE**

Okay, for those of you who don't speak German, here's a translation of my homework.

"My name is Emily. I am from Atlanta, U.S.A, but I live in Jena, Germany. I am a biologist. I am twenty-seven years old. I am single. I have no children. I live alone. I like to knit and read."

See! Depressing. But I decided it would be worse if "I have nineteen cats" was also in my biography.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you translate that for those of us who took French in high school?

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I think the last part involves 9 cats. I'm pretty sure the part in the middle had something about frosting out of the container. Emily, just keep looking. You'll find Peter.

biophd said...

I wish I could say something about frosting out of the container. Delicious.

anaeromyxo said...

Mmmm...frosting and cats...