Saturday, May 3, 2008

New Apartment: I need your advice

I moved into my new apartment this week. So far, so good - but I need some help with the decorating. I bought all the furniture from the girl who used to live there, but it seems empty. Here, walk with me and I'll take you on a tour.


This is the room that you walk into first. We'll call it the foyer. I have no idea what should be put here - I'm considering a desk, but there's not a lot of space. Alternatively, I'm considering moving the drawers to the opposite wall, and putting in a comfy chair and a reading lamp.






Next comes the bathroom. Not a whole lot to be said here, except that the toilet is properly designed, and you can hook the shower head up on the wall. Also, that's clearly me in the mirror. I should get a bathmat and some towels, but I haven't done it yet. Wait - that's not true. I have one towel.







This is the main room. There are several things you should pay close attention to here. First, there's the ugly wall color. I think I might want to repaint. Suggestions? Next is the poster on the wall. It's entitled "Dreams" and has a quote from Luisa May Alcott on it. Pretty sweet. I inherited it from the last tenant. The bed folds in half to become a couch, which is sort of convenient, but not especially comfortable. I think I may go to Ikea sometime this week to get some better bedding. Also, I don't have a pillowcase, so my pillow is wearing my t-shirt. Don't worry, it's only temporary. Anyone have suggestions on the colors for the blankets and stuff? It turns out that I hate doing this sort of thing. I miss Sarah's willingness to take it over.


Okay, so this is another view of the main room. You can see the sadly empty bookshelf and the wardrobe. Also, more of the ugly wall color.




Next, let's walk over to the kitchen. It's still in the same room, just a little over to the side. It isn't bad - there's lots of space to store stuff, but you may notice that there's no oven. I'm told you can buy a small one. Also the fridge is under the stove. It's okay, but I wish there was more freezer space. No pizza is going to fit in there. The good news is that the girl who lived there before me left me some dishes and a coffee maker. Also, the TV in the corner gets one channel in English - CNN.




Finally, the balcony. It's small, but it's sunny and I like it. I'm trying to decide whether to plant some stuff to grow out there.


Actually, the whole apartment is really sunny, which is a major advantage. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts about how to decorate.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Ok, since I could tell your indirect "I miss Sarah taking over" was actually a desperate cry for my help...here is what I think...First, I love the color of that blanket on your bed, so when you go to IKEA, I think you should do your color scheme around that color...I think that electric blue looks good with Turquoise or a lighter blue. Or you could take advantage of the "sunniness"and bring it into your aparment...painting your walls yellow and design around that color. What goes good with yellow? Not electric blue. Oh, I wish I was there to rip down "Dreams" as I think she stole it from one of my elementary school classrooms. You know it was right next to Snoopy ready a book, with a quote that said "Reading isnt just for the dogs" I love you and I will guide you every step of the way. We should skype sometime next week. Hugs and kisses to you my dear :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention...I love your balcony. I think you should def. plant something, and get like a comfy outside chair...I think its worth splurging...the plastic ones always look so cheap, and then, if its comfy...you can read outside in the sun next to the green (or brown :() products of your labor. The view seems to be a step up from the student housing. And CNN, I can just imagine what a mixed blessing that TV channel is...well, uh, at least you will be well informed in the world's events?!

Anonymous said...

Well, Emily as your mother I feel it is my duty to give advice, even in areas where I have no competence--decorating. SO. I think the walls should be a khaki color with the accents in red maybe so that you will feel comforted and warm even when you are feeling blue. The BEST news is that it is a project we can take on when I get there. I'm a terrible painter, but oh so willing... It really is a cute apartment and I agree with Sarah about the balcony...I think you can make it feel like home. Anything that you left at my house you want me to bring? Love you!!

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I am soooo jealous that you're getting visitors. I'm slogging through two horrible papers, a test tomorrow, and I hate everything. Except Nell, and Pete. I like them. I like you too. Okay, that's three things. I think bold colors and accent walls are the way to go....maybe one bright white wall to put ecletic art you discover on random streets, and then one electric blue wall and one red wall. I'm glad you found a shower head that hooks up. very important. I hope your mom brings burrito material. Send me your address that you have now. Plants, yes, definitely, but find out what will grow in the shortened season...tomatoes, are my suggestion. and herbs, they make everything smell good. Window boxes. I'm with sarah, splurge on a comfy chair, and something to cover it with when it rains. How do you skype? I want to know how so I can skype too.