Friday, August 29, 2008

Barak Obama's speech

So, I'm doing something similar to Bitch, Ph.D. and watching Obama's speech and typing my comments at the same time. Only it's not live, because I couldn't stay up that late. So I'm watching the video from the DNC website. I know that only Sara and Katy keep reading if there's anything political on this blog, but I can't help myself. I'll post a picture of a completed leg-warmer tomorrow.

Right now he's saying "Thank you so much" a lot of times.

People are waving signs that say "change" and chanting "yes, we can."

Oh man, I bet it would be awesome to be there. He just accepted the nomination and people went crazy. The spectacle of this whole thing is something I've been talking about here alot.

He thanked Hillary Clinton. Classy. I wonder what his daughters really think of her. And also Bill - I heard that his speech was excellent, maybe I'll watch that later.

His children are so cute. It makes me remember how mean everyone was to Chelsea.

Now it's his personal story again. Wait - is he wearing a flag lapel pin? I thought that was a thing! That he refused to wear it...

Thoughts of the economy. Living in Germany makes me appreciate how little safety net American's have.

We are a better country than the past 8 years would suggests! So true. I think there's a lot of good things about the US. Good job, Obama. I want to believe that things will be better - and that we're better.

More chanting. I like the chanting.

George Bush is a punching bag here. Clearly he deserves it. Health care and education and the economy. I think that Obama has to be doing well on domestic issues. I hope that the idea that McCain as elitist catches on. He does have 7 or 8 homes....

He's hitting domestic issues hard. I think that's good. The economy is clearly not McCain's strong suite. I wish that he'd talk a bit more about health care or the environment.

Obama's daughter is falling asleep. So cute.

He's talking about the role of government. This is really different than messages I've heard in previous years. No more "the era of big government is over," but "government has a responsibility to the people."

He'll cut taxes on 95% of working families. Really? No more dependence of foreign oil in 10 years? These are impressive goals...

Good, talking about energy efficiency. Yes! Drilling is not a long term solution. Hmm, calls for "clean coal," and nuclear. I wonder how that's going to be taken. He also calls for renewable energy - wind and solar.

He calls for improvement in education. Always good.

Health care. As someone who can't buy it on my own, I really hope that he does something. This is clearly a crisis. For me, anyway.

Equal pay for equal work. It's amazing that we still have to talk about it. Hopefully it pulls in the 2nd wave feminist Clinton supporters.

He also calls for personal responsibility. I agree, but how does the president do that?

He's talking about what a bad idea the war in Iraq was... That's getting good reaction from the crowd. Good thoughts - "ending the war in Iraq responsibly," "restoring our moral standing," something about direct diplomacy.

Not a red America or a blue America, but the United States of America! Disagreements are patriotic. This causes more chanting "yes, we can!" He's talking about our common purpose as Americans. I really like this part of the talk. He talked about gay American leading lives free from discrimination, abortion, and immigration and the things that we can agree about on all of these issues.

I wonder if Obama (and everyone else) practice these speeches in the bathroom mirror beforehand.

I also really like this part. The promise of America, and the anniversary of the "I have a dream" speech. I think this speech ended in a powerful and inspirational way.

And now his family comes out. I wonder if it's hard for these little girls to get so much attention. They seem to be dealing with it well. Here come the Bidens. Hugging, patriotism, streamers, flag waving, fireworks. Now comes the soaring music. Damn, that's a lot of confetti.

Even sitting in my lab at 9:30 in the morning I found that pretty inspirational. Hopefully it'll be reflected in the poll numbers.

Meanwhile, if you want to see something really cute, check out the video on Katy's website (right under the haircut pictures). Nell is such a quick learner!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, I didn't get to see his speech, but now I feel like I was THERE, man. Thanks for recapping for those of us who are too lame to watch the speech on TV.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

i wanted to point out that Obama wears designer suits, Armani, I think. Just to be fair, because its important to talk about Hillary's pants-suits.

also, at the end of the speech when Michelle and family got up on the stage, she could tell that older daughter was freaking out a little and pulled her close. It was such a good mommy moment (okay, and I think just embarrassed myself). People were mean to Chelsea. Honestly, the Clintons did get picked on, I think its the Arkansas stuff. But I also think Chelsea has turned out well. I've always thought it would be fun to meet her. During the speech I was thinking it would be sweet if she gave them some first kids pointers on secret service agents. And I think Laura Bush was really awesome (in a totally different way) in that neither of the Bush twins went totally nuts, and they still got into some mischief.

Anonymous said...

Since this is an election blog, I just had to make one comment. How about McCain's VP pick? Gov Palin. A conservative feminist. Surprising choice. - SA

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/aug/29/mccains-veep-choice-is-historic-and-hardly-know-1/

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

http://bitchphd.blogspot.com/2008/08/still-too-tired.html

this is interesting

Anonymous said...

I found the last link interesting. I guess it depends what you consider a major political office since technically if you look at the positions she has held, she actually has more experience than Obama. His experience is really limited to the Senate in which he really hasn't stood for much. Instead he has chosen to vote present 130 times on important issues. Seems like he sidesteps critical decisions as much as anyone. - SA