Sunday, August 10, 2008

The bike, the betrayal, and the aftermath

There are some advantages to using a bike, rather than a car, as one's primary means of transportation. Unfortunately, few of them bring immediate gratification. While I'm sure that getting my heart rate up while I ride up the hill to work is good for me, I'd punch anyone who told me that on the way up. Likewise, while my carbon footprint is no doubt smaller now than it ever was when I lived in the U.S., I find that fact to be small consolation on the days when it's raining or cold. Or cold and raining.

I'm not really being fair. For the most part I like the bike. I think of it as sort of a friend. It's not in that good of shape, and neither am I. And yet, together we manage to get around Jena pretty well, thank-you-very-much. There was the tire incident, and the fact that it sometimes refuses to change gears (or changes gears without being asked), but all in all we had managed to get around largely without incident.

Here it is - this is at my apartment, where it sleeps at night with the other bikes.

Anyway, you can perhaps understand why I felt so surprised on Thursday when I was betrayed by the bike. And physics. We were going to the public swimming pool down the dirt road driveway. I tried to stop suddenly, and the bike skidded out from under me and to the side. I hit the ground dramatically (according to Kristina - it's hard for me to imagine how it looked from the outside). I was wearing my bike helmet because my head is precious to me, but I didn't actually hit my head. I'm not hurt very much at all, actually, but I was a little bruised and bloody. Fortunately, I took pictures. First, my arm. It's totally underwhelming, but it did kinda hurt.


But the really dramatic thing was my knee. Knowing me you can probably imagine that I've showed it to every single person I've spoken to since Thursday afternoon. Here's a picture from Thursday evening (taken with the laptop computer).


But the nice thing about bruises is that they can get more impressive with time. So now it hurts less, but my knee currently looks like this:

Pretty impressive, huh? The only disappointing thing is that it's been too cold to wear shorts recently, so I have to keep pulling up my jeans leg to show people.

Anyway, I also have an excuse not to go back to power yoga for a couple more days, since it hurts to kneel. My bike and I are speaking again, but it's with the exaggerated politeness that usually follows a fight. "Oh" I say "let's go around this corner slowly. I don't want to put too much pressure on you." I'm sure that eventually things will get back to normal, and I'll be swearing at it for refusing to switch to an easier gear so that I don't start rolling backwards down the hill to work. But for now, the bike and I are sort of tentative around each other, feeling out the new conditions of our relationship.


6 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I can vouch that your knee looked very impressive on skype this morning. Also, I feel betrayed that no one else was brave enough to let their browsing history define their gender.

biophd said...

Check out Sara (Blue Skies, Barthy Burgers, Girl's) and Kristin's (The times they are a'changin) blogs. They're both super female.

K-Way said...

I see your bruise has entered the purple stage, I think the green stage is just around the corner. Amazing how when blood cells break down they change color. I took a dive once in early afternoon when getting a cup of coffee across the street from work. I fell right in the cross walk. This was pre-coffee. I am sure if I had a little caffeine in me, these sorts of things wouldn't happen.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

Did you know the poll lets me vote as much as I want? (hypothetically)

Anonymous said...

Emmy Kay,

That is horrible! It looks really bad, I feel sympathetic, as it seems most of your blog readers do. I feel like I should kiss it and make is better for you, but you are so far :( I want to talk to you, but you are not on skype this morning. Could we talk soon. I am feeling I-miss-Emily-ish. Also, yesterday I was in one of those moods in which I went around all day saying nonsense words over and over in high-pitched voices and no one seemed to be amused,at least you faked it for the first 5 min or so. I have been especially nostalgic about our mornings (u, Amisha and I) in which we all talk, me with no pants on, and pace around and drink our weekend coffee...I love you EKP, and I hope you miss me too!

K-Way said...

Hi Emily,

Here is some tax advice a colleague of mine gave me who received the same fellowship as us.

" Question: Did you pay Australian taxes when you were over in
Oz.
I did not, but my husband who was paid by Australian funding did. You
should not have to pay tax on your NSF money - but NSF will not advise
you on what to do - but they won't send you a W9 - or whatever it is so
the IRS will not know about your NSF income unless you or whoever
manages your grant tells them I would talk to the grant manager at UCSB
and see how they are planning to handle your funds. I think there is
something in the tax lit on scholarships and fellowships that as long as
money is specifically for education it is not taxed. But you'll have to
search for details or ask a tax advisor.

I managed my own money since I went to 2 different Oz univ and didn't
want the hassle. I never paid tax and was never asked about it. I just
kept funds in a separate US bank account and only bought things for
research from that account and just kept a detailed spreadsheet of
spending and all receipts."

My decision: Not paying Oz taxes