Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'll be in my lab all day, signing autographs

Humility, like tact, has never really been my strong suite. Other people downplay their accomplishments, but that's not really my thing. Even when I've knitted a crappy scarf or something. I can't wait for people to comment on it - instead I jump right in. "See this?" I say. "I made it." At that point they're obligated to say "Um, yeah, that's really, um, nice." Unless they're Amisha, but that's not really the point here.

The point is that when my last paper was accepted, it was announced on the white board in the lab here in three languages. But since then it's been announced in a much bigger way.

That's right - Tracey and I have had our recent papers profiled in Nature News. I expect the calls for interviews will be coming in soon. I'm sure that I'll be very much in demand. You know, despite the fact that neither my name nor Tracey's appear in the article. Julia insists that she tried, but Nature kept editing out her attempts to blame us for the research.

Our names are actually mentioned on the Georgia Tech website news story. I've actually always wanted to be on the Georgia Tech website. I made it in the alumni magazine once (holding a stone crab and talking to Mark), but this is for something I've actually done.

I should probably wrap this post up now... I'm going to have to deal with the press and paparazzi at my door. I wish I'd worn something other than my "biologists do it on the bench" t-shirt today.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Well well well......

Anonymous said...

Just so you know...while your name is not actually listed in the article, you and tracy are listed as references at the end of the article....so change your t-shirt...the paparazzi should be there any moment!!!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!! Go Emily and Tracey! And also my old friend Skeletonema!

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaa! I'm also going to send this information to your alma mater so they can fuss over you

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!!!! Congrats!!!

anaeromyxo said...

Wowee! It really was an exciting finding. It's good that you've finally gotten the recognition you deserve. How does the Nature News thing work? Did they just read all the literature and say to themselves, "Wow, now here is one terrific body of work!" Because that would make sense, but it makes this a really big exciting deal! Were people making a giant fuss at meetings and so forth? Did you know you were going to be famous?

Anonymous said...

This post makes me know that despite any outward physical genetic similarities, you are in fact my sister :) I love you EKP!

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

Incompetence Tops List of Complaints About Peer Reviewers

By JEFFREY BRAINARD

Incompetence by their reviewers was the most common problem reported by scientists who submitted manuscripts to scholarly journals. Almost two-thirds voiced that beef in a survey administered to scientists employed by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. From the Chronicle of Higher Ed