Saturday, August 23, 2008

Today's theme: Sitting on my computer

Prepositions in other languages are hard, so it's probably not nice of me to use this particular post title. Someone who isn't a native English speaker said he was sitting on his computer the other day, and the image made me laugh.

I was thinking that I might comment on Obama's choice of running mate, but it turns out that I don't have that much to say about it. Biden. David Brooks of the NY Times likes him, and I'm with him on most of the issues (you know, after about 15 minutes of internet research). I also appreciate that he talks too much and says stupid things. It reminds me of, um, this friend of mine. So we'll have to wait 'till the convention speech to see what he says there.

Alright, so after thoroughly researching Joseph R. Biden Jr., I continued my internet browsing and decided that if my friends are all making mangas I would too.

Whadda ya think? The problem is that these things have sort of round faces and big eyes, and I don't have either. Still, I think she can hang out with Sara and Melissa's avatars.

Also, I enjoy the "Indexed" site that I've linked to over there on the left. When I was looking at it the other day, I found a card that might sum up my problems.

I think that a similar graph might be drawn for the relationship between "how happy people are for you" and "how often you remind them of your accomplishments." I couldn't think of single words for those ideas. But I suspect that if the axes were labeled in German there would be a single word for each. It would be long and consist of five word stuck together, but it would very precisely convey a single complex idea.

I also found this list of online personality tests. Since one of my favorite subjects is me, I took a couple. I found that I should never be told to shoot the people holding guns (because I panic and shoot guys with cell phones), that I associate white men with weapons, and that based on my personality it's likely that I've experimented with drugs.

And I decided that I'd try to make polenta.


I found some at the organic shop that Kristina recommended, and I thought it might be an interesting undertaking. I looked around for some recipes online and found a few I might try. I also have some jalapeños that I might try to use...

And that's all for today's post. I'm off to round up some food and do my grocery shopping. I also went to the yarn shop today, so I'm going to get a movie and watch it while I knit tonight. Clearly my life is a thrill a minute.


3 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

I'm really proud of the effort you make, Emily. My life, also a thrill a minute, has left me thinking maybe I'll stop trying, and just wait for the ants to eat me. But probably its just the hormones speaking for me.

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

Also, Emily, to add to your 15 minutes of web research, I wanted to share the American voices obtain by The Onion on the topic of Joe Biden as running mate.
http://www.theonion.com/content/amvo/obama_picks_biden_as_vp

anaeromyxo said...

Your manga looks terrific. I hope that you're making a veiled self-depracating remark about the talking all the time and saying inappropriate things. Otherwise, the friend is clearly me. Because that is what I do. I'm scared of what's going to happen with Obama/Biden. So scared. If they lose, I will lose all respect and hope for my countrymen and burrow into the ground for the rest of my life. My only consolation is that McCain really isn't that bad, overall...overall.