Sunday, August 3, 2008

Get to know your friends 2008

Katy sent me one of those e-mail thingies about her, and I'm supposed to answer the same questions with fascinating tidbits about me. I was filling it out, and also thinking that I should probably put something on my blog. And then - like a flash, the answer came to me. I'll just post the answer to all 54 questions here. So, enjoy.

1. What time did you get up this morning? 7:45. Give me a break. It's the weekend.

2. Diamonds or Pearls? Pearls. Not that I own diamonds or pearls. Or even really want to.

3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Charlie Bartlett - in Berlin. We wanted to see "Sex in the City" but we would have missed our train.

4. What is your favorite TV show? Weeds.

5. What do you usually have for breakfast?
An English muffin with peanut butter. And the good thing is that Kristina introduced me to an organic store that sells really good peanut butter.

6. What is your middle name? Katherine

7. What food do you dislike? Things that are gelatinous. And with tentacles.


8. What is your favorite CD at the moment? Still "Heretic Pride" from The Mountain Goats

9. What kind of car do you drive? Back home it's a Chevy S10 pickup, but here it's a bike.

10. Favorite sandwich? I'm not sure this is my favorite, but I've been thinking about pimento cheese recently.

11 What characteristic do you despise? Negativity. Is that a word? Finding the worst aspects of everything.

12. Favorite item of clothing? Right now it's my brown t-shirt with a tree on the side.

13. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go? I'm gonna be lame and say someplace easy - where I can lay in the sun and have people bring me drinks - and a not try to figure out which train I'm supposed to take/how to order food/which forms I'm supposed to fill out.


14. Are you an organized person? Not really. But I'm more organized temporally than spatially.

15. Where would you like to retire to? I'm not sure. I'd like to be close to my family - but realistically I'll probably never stop working.

16. What was your most recent memorable birthday? This year was strange but nice. I taught a somewhat uninspired class on IR, ate some cake and muffins, and had drinks at the American Bar.

17. What are you going to do when you finish this? Read a paper for tomorrow's journal club.

18. Furthest place you are sending this to? I imagine the farthest is to the folks back home in GA.

19. Person you expect to send it back first? No one, probably. But as this is the first one I've ever done I don't think I can judge.

20. When is your next birthday? May 23 - but that's a silly question. They're always the same. My previous birthday was May 23, and my birthday in 10 years will be May 23. So maybe the question should be "When is your birthday?"

21. Morning person or night person? Morning, I guess.

22. What is your shoe size? This is the question I hated most in middle school. It's a 12 okay? I have big feet. Back off. You're going to get pregnant in 9th grade and drop out of high school and I'll go on to get a Ph.D. and move to Germany. So who is really the looser in this group?

23. Pets? Is Sammy still part mine? He's living in GA, but I like to think that he still loves me. I also have thousands and thousands of plankton that I nurture, but they aren't any good at playing fetch. Neither is Sammy, come to think of it.

24. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share? I'm pregnant. Ha! Hilarious. Um, I can't really keep quiet, so if there were new and exciting news you'd already know.

25. What did you want to be when you were little? An astronaut, duh.

26. How are you today? Good. Although I realized that my shorts are kinda tight. Too much German food or too little exercise?

27. What is your favorite flower? daffodils

28. What is a day on the calendar you are looking forward to? The end of October when my sister comes to visit.

29. What are you listening to right now? Hem, the gentle humming of the lab machinery, and the wind in the trees outside.

30. What was the last thing you ate?
I made a bunch of guacamole and ate it for lunch. Delicious. Then I ate a cookie that was left downstairs.

31. Do you wish on stars? No, because I'm a scientist. I don't believe in those sorts of things. I believe in facts and logic. Like a cold, emotionless metal cube.

32. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Olive green.

33. How is the weather right now? Really pleasant. Sunny, but not too warm. Hopefully it doesn't rain, because I left my laundry drying on my balcony.

34. Last person I spoke to on the phone?
my Mom. And before that it was Sarah.

35. Favorite soft drink? Diet Coke. Other people may like fancy things, but I'm a traditionalist.

36. Favorite restaurant? My favorite place in Jena might be the Indian restaurant.

37. Hair color? Brown. Not really dark or light brown. Medium brown.

38. What was your favorite toy as a child? I don't remember. Does my yellow blanket count?

39. Summer or Winter? Summer. A thousand times summer.

40. Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate. A thousand times chocolate.

41. Coffee or tea? Coffee. A thousand times coffee.

42. Do you want your friends to email you back? Yes, or post on their respective blogs.

43. When was the last time you cried? I was cutting up an onion this morning...

44. What is under your bed? There isn't really an under my bed. Because the bed folds in half to make a couch.

45. What did you do last night? Nothing exciting. Tried to make some hummus recipes (they turned out okay), and read a new book.

46. What are you afraid of? Talking to strangers in German and doing a bad job at this post-doc.

47. Salty or sweet? Salty

48. How many keys on your key ring? 7 - three related to my house, three for the lab, and one for the bike.

49. How many years at your current job?
Four months. I think I should have accomplished more.

50. Favorite day of the week? Thursdays.

51. Do you make friends easily? I think so. I'm generally friendly. It helps if we speak the same language (I mean, literally - not some sort of metaphorical language)

52. How many people will you send this to? How many people read this blog? Somewhere between 5 and 10.

53. How many will respond? I would say Katy, but she's already done it. One? Sara maybe?

54. Do you like finding out all this stuff about your friends? Yes, but I like finding out stuff about people who aren't my friends also. I'm sort of a gossip. I just like knowing stuff about people.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I have to say I found this little inlet into the personal thoughts of Emily fascinating. So three things, I am absolutely looking forward to coming, and seriously almost cried when I read that it was a date you were looking forward to (we'll blame it on stress and not my general emotional instability). Second, I'm sure Sammy still loves you...I wish we could have joint custody, he is wearing me out. And third, yay...I gave you the shirt with the tree :) I love you, and I hope all is well. I voted for Burgermeister, fyi :) _SP

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

you stole my answers to 23 and 24! But I'm glad I could help fill space on the blog as well.

Anonymous said...

I agree: Thursday is the best day of the week. It's the day when anticipation about the weekend totally peaks and the day when the week seems *almost* over.

I submit my thesis in just over a week -- Crazy times here. I feel my life has turned into chaos in the past couple weeks, and I can't wait to reorganize.

Miss you! :)

Anonymous said...

High-fives for people with the middle name of Katherine or some variation thereof! Wish I had kept mine when I got married. But I still claim it.

biophd said...

So I had a dream last night that I misspelled "Katherine" on this post. I had to check it this morning to see if I really had put an "m" in it. No - it turns out it really was just a dream.

Good luck Amy. But I thought that turning in the thesis was the best moment of the whole process. The defense was relatively easy in comparison.