Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Am Herrenberge

Okay finally - some pictures. Assuming that someone is reading this let me show you where I'm currently living.

This is my kitchen. One of the cabinets underneath has a small fridge. Actually, I think I probably have as much counter space as I did in my last apartment.

This is the rest of the apartment. Note that I'm not any neater in Europe than I was in the US. The apartment also has a small balcony, which is nice even if it's currently too cold to stay out there very long. The view varies dramatically depending on which way I turn my head.


This is what I see if I turn my head to the left.


But this is what I see if I turn my head to the right. Much better.

And for a today's final picture - I broke down yesterday and bought a skillet and a pot. I also bought stuff to make pasta. As a special treat I bought a diet coke (actually, a coke zero - they didn't have diet coke, but it was close enough). I carried all this stuff the mile from the bus stop home. It may not actually be a mile, but it's close and it's uphill. I regretted the coke after the first five steps, but in the end it was all worth it. I managed to actually cook dinner for the first time. This is what I ate:


Those of you who are looking closely may notice the copy of Cormac McCarthy's book "The Road" in the background. It's possibly the most horrifying thing I've ever read. Just for future reference you should probably avoid reading books with words like "post-apocalyptic," "desolate," and "unflinching" on the back when you're spending a lot of time alone in a strange country.

3 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

Mmmm...dinner looks yummy! I am reading. Maybe you could create some forms to catalog your daily activities, "cooked dinner", "walked to market", in case anyone needs verification later...send pictures of the lab next!

beag air bheag said...

I'm reading. I miss you! :*

Anonymous said...

Hi, are you still at Am Herrenberge? I am just heading there in October and will stay there for 2 months. I was wondering if you had to go to downtown Jena to do your food shopping? Or is there some other grocery store near???

What about your laundry? Are there laundry machines in the building?

Thanks!
Angela