Sunday, April 13, 2008

I'm too old for this...

You may have noticed that there was no post yesterday. That was because I didn't quite make it into the city use the internet. Actually, I didn't make it out of my room.

Part of the problem is that I don't drink enough water here. It's just that there aren't any water fountains and you don't really get water in a restaurant unless you ask for it. And I'm a chicken so I avoid unnecessary conversations in German. So I think that Friday I may have only drunk coffee all day.

Anyway, it was pouring when we left for the concert last night, and my hair was hanging in wet clumps when we arrived at the Kassablanka (the venue for the evening's activities). It had sort of a warehouse feel, and seemed to be filled mostly with high school Goth kids (Actually, much of Jena seems filled with high school Goth kids, but that's beside the point). We ordered a beer and chatted until the warm up band started playing. We think that they may have been Russian, but the spoke to the audience in German and they sang in English. Being able to understand the lyrics was no advantage - they were one of the worst bands I've ever heard in my life. Part of the problem may have been that the genre seemed to be mostly punk, but I don't think so. They were just bad.

It was a relief when the main band, No Relax, started to play. They may have been Italian but it seemed like they were speaking in Spanish and occasionally English. The many genres listed on the add was a lie - it was mostly punk - but that was okay since they were quite good. They reminded Matt of "No Doubt" and I could see it. Plus, I now have a crush on the lead singer. She's hot - it's hard to deny it. I didn't take my camera last night so here's a picture stolen from the web.


Had the evening ended here, Saturday would have been a much more pleasant experience. However, we'd missed the last bus and they didn't start running again until 3:30. Jenny and I decided to stay out. We went to some bar that was mostly dead and Jenny had a conversation in German with the bartender while I smiled and drank my beer. At some point the bartender (who wanted to close up) said that he'd take us to the club downstairs and buy us a drink. We went.

Downstairs the club was filled with 17 year-old Goth kids. Fantastic. Here are some things that happened (in bullet form):
  • We had another beer
  • Some high school kids wanted me to take a picture with them. They were between me and the bathroom, so I agreed.
  • We met a man named Sebastian. He was quite taken with Jenny.
  • I decided I wanted to go home, but didn't know how to get to the bus stop.
  • I had another beer
  • I noticed it was somehow five o'clock in the morning
  • I fell asleep on a couch
  • Jenny asked if I was ready to go home.
  • We walked to the bus stop. It was 6:15
Standing at the bus stop in the cold may have been the highlight of Saturday. I'll spare you all the details of the hang over, but it was bad. And I had no Tylenol. And getting some required getting dressed, walking to the bus stop, taking a bus, etc. So instead I slept, read, and swore off drinking.

1 comment:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

sounds remarkably like the evening I heard about this morning at my soccer game. our lone sub showed up having already yakked twice on the way to the field. she did not play. "flu?" no, "pregnant?" no, "hungover", uuhhhgg, yes. So hungover.