Thursday, April 17, 2008

Things I like about Jena

I've decided this blog might be a little on the negative side about Germany. I refuse to take back my comments about the shower, but I thought that I'd try to focus on positive things.

Thing number 1: Windows that open.

As far as I can tell, all the windows in this city actually open to the outside world. Even in institutional buildings like the lab. So if it's a nice day outside I can open the window to let some fresh air into my lab.


Thing number 2: Ice cream shops

There's a store that sells ice cream every couple of blocks here. I find it a little strange, since it's cold most of the time, but people are walking around in heavy coats licking ice cream cones. It makes me think of that time Lorelai and Rory were walking around Yale in heavy coats eating ice cream, which makes me happy. Also ice cream makes me happy.


Thing number 3: The bus is really coming at 7:46

I am constantly amazed at how punctual the buses and trams are. They're synchronized! And they pick you up and drop you off at exactly the time written on the schedule! How can this happen? I mean, you can actually plan your day based on the bus schedule. Pay attention Atlanta. This is a valuable lesson for you.


There are other things, but I'm going to leave it at three for today. Perhaps this will be part of a continuing series.

No comments: