Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I quit

So today, Wednesday, is not going well. The agenda for today goes
  1. Finish packing room
  2. Go to lab - review the class I'm teaching today
  3. Pick up projector
  4. Teach class
  5. Return projector
  6. Meet with new landlord to do a walk through of the apartment
  7. Go in Jarrit's car to get all my stuff for the new apartment
  8. Bring stuff to new apartment
  9. Feed Jenny's cats
All of these things are carefully scheduled, without a lot of time in between. And Germans don't like it if you're late. For example, I was late meeting the girl I'm renting an apartment from once (and I called to say I was running late), but now every time we have to meet she texts "please try to arrive at the scheduled time."

So after successfully completing number one, I walked out of the apartment. As soon as the door clicked shut, I realized that I had Jenny's keys. Not mine. There's a sign in the hall (in English) that says they won't help you if your keys get stuck, and that you should call a locksmith. So I went to work and asked the secretary if she could please call someone for me. The good news is that she called the janitor, and he agreed to let me in. If I had known that was an option, I could have asked him myself (and by asked, I mean acted out the situation until he got the general idea). So I took the bus back, Herr Witting let me in, and then I rode the bus back to work. It's now 9:49 and I'm to tired to do the rest of the things on the list.

1 comment:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

on IBI we got stuck in traffic on the way to the Daimler factory tour. They were horrified. We were 20 minutes late. We left like an hour early. I think a horrible accident had occured. Nevertheless, we were reminded throughout the visit about our behind schedule-ness.