Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Lab pictures

As requested, I took some pictures of the lab to share with you all.


This is my lab. The major disadvantage of it is that my desk and computer are in the same room, so I'm not supposed to eat there. Fortunately, the grad student who acts as safety officer (and takes it very seriously - but he is German after all) is out of town.







Everything is in a separate room here, so if you walk with me downstairs, you'll see:


The culture room! Those of you from my previous lab please note the clutter. I'm fairly sure none of these rooms have ever experienced lab cleaning day.










This is the MS room. Here's one MS. Exciting.














Here's a picture of Christian working - I think he's cleaning macroalgae.














Finally, the break room. It's unfortunate that I suck at Fuseball. People will play with me, but it's mostly out of pity.Can you see the coffee maker by the window? It's very impressive. You can adjust the ratio of coffee to water from strong all the way to "American." But every time I try to make some it flashes some error message at me. I'm told it's the machine in the lab that requires the most maintenance.

4 comments:

Reforming Soccer Mom said...

so my first thought about culture room was "what is cultural about it--looks like an office to me..." then I thought maybe its a sciencey kind of cutlure--like petri dishes . . . then, about the algae cleaning, do you dust them or is it more like bathing or what?

Anonymous said...

So I like your blog thus far...you don't get on my nerves like Bitch PhD, and you mentioned Puffy coat, and Sammy and I both had this nauseating wave of nostalgia...I was missing you, but I am pretty sure he was dreaming of those hours snuggled up in its warm fluffy goodness...he's so fickle like that. Anyway, I picked him up and pointed to your picture today. I said "Sammy this is Emily, remember?" and then I did my best low octave Emily voice, saying "Mom wont let us play with play-do anymore" I'm crossing my fingers that it works :) Love you, SP

beag air bheag said...

qTOf micro with an Acquity inlet! (Hot damn, I'm a dork!)

Btw, do you guys need any service? I'll be able to spruce up that Acquity for you after next week!

biophd said...

Damn, that's impressive. I was shown how to use it (the mass spec) on Friday. But you can service my machine anytime, if you know what I mean.